Sunday, January 17, 2010

Gulaschsuppe (Goulash Soup)

One of my husband's favourites and something we had quite a bit of while in Germany over Christmas!

It's really easy to make, the only bit of work is chopping up the meat. I buy the ready chopped blocks of beef, but it's not quite chopped small enough for the way we like it and the way they serve it in Germany. Below are the potatoes chopped up and I chop the meat about the same size or even smaller. I forgot to take a picture of the meat so thought I'd show you the potatoes for size.



1. Fry onion and garlic in a large pot.
2. Chop beef in small bits of about 1cm.
3. Brown the meat.
4. Add one red pepper, chopped.
5. Add about 2 potatoes, also chopped in 1 cm cubes.
6. I added about 1,5 liters water. You can add more. Mine could have done with another half a liter but I had no more space in the pot. I had a lot of meat. You decide how you like it.
7. And beef stock, 1 tin of tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper.
8. Also add some cayenne pepper to spice it up a bit. Or as much as you like.
9. Oh I just remembered, I think I also added chili.

Simmer for as long as you have time!! I started mine at noon and cooked it for 6 hours. It's even better the next day so we had something else that night for dinner and left the soup for the next night. Before dinner I let it simmer for another hour to heat up.



No comments:

Post a Comment