Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cantonese Style Duck

I saw this dish being made on a TV program the other day. I love duck. I don't know why. Maybe because of the extra fat it has. Extra fat makes everything nicer. Taste nicer I mean. And I think because it usually has a sweet kind of sauce with it and I like sweet a lot.


So this was my very first time cooking duck. With the help of my husband of course. I love that he enjoys cooking with me.

So here's what we did. And here is where I got the recipe from.

We used 4 duck breasts for 4 people. They were quite big and we had them in the oven for an extra 5 minutes.

You need to marinate the duck breasts for 20 minutes and this is what you need for the marinade (I doubled the recipe since I used double the amount of meat, below is the already doubled recipe.)
4 T Oyster sauce
2 T Chinese five-spice powder
2 T Groundnut oil
4 T Light soy sauce
4 T Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry

We decided to get the sherry instead of the rice wine thinking we can drink the rest, but it was either a very bad sherry or I don't like dry sherry. It will all be used in cooking eventually!

Mix all the ingredients well and place the duck in the marinade for 20 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 180 C and place the duck on a roasting tray. Reserve the marinade. 
Roast the duck in the oven for 20 min. Then leave to rest for 12 min.
Bring the reserved marinade to a boil and drizzle over the sliced duck breast.

Our duck came out perfect. Still a little pink and very soft. We served it with Jasmine rice and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment