Friday, August 14, 2009

Hungarian Tart





This is something I first had at my mother-in-law's house after she baked it. I asked her to email me the recipe earlier this weekend because it's something my husband really likes too. It's so easy to make and has no special ingredients so I didn't even need to go shopping when I decided to bake this morning.

Ingredients:
Apricot jam
125 g margarine
2 T sugar
2 T oil
1 egg
1/2 t vanilla essence
2 C flour
2 t baking powder
salt

Mix margarine and sugar until creamy.
Add oil and vanilla essence - mix well.
Beat egg and add to mixture.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt - add to mixture and mix well.
Knead slightly to form soft biscuit dough.
Press a little more than half of the dough into a baking tray or pie dish. Also press it up the sides a bit. (Next time I will use a bigger dish, my dough at the bottom is a bit thick. It shouldn't be too thick.)

Generously spread apricot jam over dough.

Grate remaining dough over jam.

*I found it doesn't grate like you would grate cheese. I kind of just pushed the dough through the grater to get little dough "worms" all over.

Bake at 170 C for about 30 minutes until light brown.

You could slice it while still hot, but we like to eat it like a biscuit when it's cooled down completely and the jam has set. In the picture below you can see the jam is still hot and runny. I couldn't wait of course! But it's now in the fridge to set. Doesn't have to go in the fridge. I'm not even sure if it should go in the fridge? But as I said, I can't wait and am trying to speed up the cooling process!

16 comments:

  1. tastes delicious thank you for the recipe very yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Barbados, we make this all the time, with red jams - strawberry, cherry or marmalade too... soo soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow all the way from Barbados! I'd love some warm sunshine right now. It's still freezing cold here in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe! The picture took me back to my childhood in Zimbabwe. We used to call it worm tart as my sister and I loved helping with the grater, making the "worms" as you aptly call them. We did not have a base, just grated the whole thing. It's great as a dessert with custard too. Cheers from Perth, Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recipe, an old South African favourite that I have not had in ages. I made it with strawberry jam and served it warm with wiped cream, was a real hit with my Swedish fiancée:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. When I was in South Africa, growing up :-)) I made this all the time, and I did not bring my recipe with me to the US, and felt like eating some favorites of mine, so I searched for this recipe and came across the most familiar recipe I am used to, so giving it a try after some shopping.
    Thanks so much for sharing :-) Cannot wait to try it, hungry already, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I confirm: Just 2 tablespoons of Sugar? I've been putting in 2 large spoons (you know - the cooking spoons).

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 Tablespoons, but if you like it sweet add more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try using 2 thirds in the base. Put the other third into the freezer for 15 minutes. This makes it really easy to grate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how much flour is it? is 'c' referin to cups, sorry just got confused

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Yes c is for cups. So 2 cups flour. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't believe my eyes - Hungarian tart! I thought only my family called it that. we had apricot trees and a lot of homemade jam (in my long ago childhood). I suppose it's too much to ask that I want homemade apricot jam for the tart, so I add a dash of lemon juice over the bought jam to perk it up

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for that. I am between Aussie and NZ visiting my two daughters alternately and all my cook books are in SA inthe Royal Cook Book where the recipe is in.I use castor sugar and butter(cheap in NZ) and use apples instead ofjam for a change. Put in cinnamon and bit more sugar.And you have an apple tart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am now famous for "my Hungarian tarts" in my family lol. Great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi all,
    an alternative, my mom's friend brought these over to our house 25 years ago- individual tarts, with fruit mince filling. I have been making them ever since. In a muffin tray (the same recipe as hungarian tart) pastry, press dough into each muffin shape . On the stove low boil (8-10mins), 3 tbls brown sugar, 1 cup of fruit mince and a glug of whiskey, in enough water to cover fruit mince. Spoon into the tart moulds (sans liquid) and grate remaining dough over. 15-20mins in the oven (180%). once cool, dust with icing sugar. I made 18 tarts 3 hours ago. 1 had one, there are 2 left , my 2 kids and niece devoured the rest!

    ReplyDelete