Monday, September 7, 2009

Rösti - part of a Swiss meal

I read in a survey here that the Swiss consider fondue to be the most typically swiss food and rösti got the second most votes.

So I made rösti!

Ok, not quite made it myself, but I cut the packet open and put it in the pan.

Then you leave it to fry in the pan until it starts going golden brown and crispy underneath.

THEN comes the tricky part. You need to flip it. Turn it over. Not really possible. This was about the 3rd time I made rösti and all the methods I've tried lands me with a little heap of grated potato (what rösti is in case you didn't know). I've tried placing a plate over the pan and turning it over. Tried using the lid. Tried doing it with a spatula. I have now decided to just scramble it around a bit and hope I get some of the 'unfried' bits at the bottom.

With our rösti the other night I made my own chicken mixture. Onion, garlic, red pepper, chili, tomato, mushroom and zuchinni cooked in a sauce made of mushroom soup powder mixed with milk and white wine. Turned out good!


No comments:

Post a Comment