Monday, September 14, 2009

Plum jam

I've made tomato jam a few years ago and now for my second try at making jam I used the plums (prunes?) I had bought which weren't being eaten fast enough.

The recipe I found said to use equal amounts of plums and sugar, but next time I'll use less sugar. I don't need it as sweet and would actually like to taste a bit of the sourness of the plums. If you click on the link to the recipe there are some other links on that site with more info about making jam that can be useful.

So here's what I did:
590 g plums
590 g sugar
110 ml water

Slice the plums in half and remove the pips.
Simmer in the water until nice and soft. Make sure you simmer long enough.

Do you like my red pot? I have two of them. I got them from my gran in Germany. They go with my other red kitchen things.

Have a plum while you wait.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. I know... so much SUGAR!

Bring to a boil and boil rapidly until the jam sets when tested.*

Remove the scum.
Pot and seal while still hot.

*Unfortunately I didn't time how long this took, but I had to boil it for quite a while. To test if it is ready, have a plate in the freezer so it gets nice and cold. Remove from freezer and place a drop of jam on the plate and leave for one minute. It should feel sticky when you touch it with your finger. If not, keep on boiling and test again and again!


No comments:

Post a Comment