Monday, June 8, 2009

Mac & Cheese

I wasn't going to do a post about macaroni & cheese, but then I thought maybe like me, you also sometimes can't think what to make for dinner and we forget about these simple things like mac & cheese. I was reminded about this when someone posted on facebook that they're making this for dinner. So perhaps you're scrolling through blogs looking for ideas for dinner (like I do) and then I might just be able to help!

I don't know if it's common to add mince to this dish. I grew up with it only being macaroni and cheese sauce with some tomato. But we now add some mince too. Whenever I cook mince I usually make extra to freeze. To spice up the mince I add a can of tomatoes of course and then whatever I have in the fridge like mushrooms, green pepper, and sometimes carrots or zucchini or peas. Finely chopped of course except for the peas.. You can add some fresh tomatoes too and vegetable stock gives great flavour. (Try Ina Paarman vegetable stock if you're in SA.) And don't forget the herbs and red wine!

So you've cooked your pasta (I actually used penne instead of macaroni here), add your cooked mince and cheese sauce. Mix, grate some cheese over the top and bake.

I made this a while ago and I'm actually making it again tonight. We'll be home late so I'll be preparing the cheese sauce and pasta before we go out and the mince is ready anyway. When we get home all I'll need to do is stick it in the oven for about 25 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment