Saturday, July 25, 2009

Milk tart - first attempt

Before I tell you about the milk tart I just have to show you what I bought today. I'm so excited about it. My baking has been limited here in Switzerland until now without this. Look.

Don't you love the color? I do! And it happens to go with my kitchen which has some touches of red. And look what it can do, frothed milk! Pretty, hey?

Ok, so I wanted to bake something this morning after buying this and I asked André what he'd like me to bake. It needs to be something he likes, otherwise I end up eating it all. He doesn't eat much sweet stuff, so I might just end up having to eat it all myself anyway... But I really wanted to bake something and from the list I gave André to choose from, he chose milk tart.

I have two recipes. One is my grandma's recipe which my mom made in Melkbos some time ago. It turned out really good. But the other recipe I have, one without a crust, sounded way easier so of course I chose the easy way out. Perhaps not the best choice! I will give you both recipes in a minute. If you look at the picture you can see the two layers and it feels as though something separated which shouldn't have. The bottom is too dense and the top too foamy. I looked up other recipes on the internet afterwards and the first one I found is exactly this recipe I used today and the reviews say that it is supposed to form a sort of crust with the bottom layer. So maybe it's supposed to be like this. Just not the way I know milk tart. And I like a pastry crust so next time I'll try the other one and let you know how that turns out.

But here's both recipes so you can choose and let me know what you think if you do try it.

Today's recipe: Crustless Milk Tart

4 C milk
1 C sugar
1 t baking powder
1 C flour
2 T butter
1 t vanilla
3 eggs, separated
pinch of salt

Beat the egg whites until stiff.
Melt butter and add sugar, salt and egg yolks. Mix.
Add baking powder and flour. Gradually add milk and vanilla.
Fold in the egg whites.

Pour into an oven dish. Bake at 180C for 30-40 min. (I baked mine for 50 min today. It musn't be too wobbly when you take it out. It will be a little wobbly, but if too much it won't set properly.)
Sprinkle with cinnamon while still hot. Leave to cool and set.

And here's my Ouma's recipe:
Melktert

500 ml milk
30 ml butter
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of salt
2 extra large eggs, separated
100 ml milk
15 ml flour
30 ml maizena (cornflour)
125 ml sugar
Puff pastry
cinnamon

Heat milk, cinnamon stick, salt and butter.
Heat until just before boiling point.
Beat egg yolks, sugar, 100 ml milk, flour and cornflour.
Add a little bit of the warm milk to the egg mixture and beat well. (This is important, don't ask me why but you have to do it this way!)
Now add the egg mixture to the rest of the warm milk. Keep stirring until it starts thickening.
It will start looking like custard.
Let the mixture cool completely.

Line dish with puff pastry.
When the mixture has cooled completely, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold in.
Pour into dish and bake at 180C for about 35 min. (Would probably be longer.)
As with the first recipe, it mustn't be too wobbly when you take it out the oven.

Allow to cool and sprinkle with cinnamon.

3 comments:

  1. PS When folding in the egg whites, they will make little "clouds" which drift on top of the mixture. It's supposed to. I didn't know this so when it didn't want to mix with the rest of the mixture I beat it in with my mixer! haha!

    And by the way, this milk tart I made is actually tasting better the next day after being in the fridge over night. Just finished the last piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. het nou die hungarian tert gemaak, maar te min appelkooskonfyt gehad, so ek het 'n blikkie appelkose stukkend gesny daarop. Is nou in die oond, so ons sal maar sien....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lekker! Ek dink dit kan nog lekkerder wees met die heel stukke vrugte. Andre gaan nou vir ons pasta maak. Ek wil later bietjie an altwee blogs skryf. Geniet dei tert! xx

    ReplyDelete