I took these pictures such a long time ago and thought I'd posted this already, but it seems not. I made risotto again tonight. Here's how:
1. Fry onion and garlic in some olive oil.
2. Add chicken pieces. You don't have to, you can leave this out and do a vegetarian risotto.
3. When the chicken pieces are nice and brown, add 1 cup Arborio rice (special risotto rice available in most grocery stores) to serve 2 people. To serve 4, double the rice and the liquid. It makes more than enough. Fry the rice in the pan for about 1 minute or so.
4. Then add the liquid: 1/2 cup white wine (or red if you don't have white- it will change the color a bit but still tastes good) + 2 cups water. With the liquid add either vegetable stock or half a packet mushroom soup powder. The soup powder makes it nice and creamy.
5. Add your vegetables. You can really add ANYTHING you like!! We usually add mushrooms, one tomato, green/ red pepper. Other things to add are zucchini, butternut/ pumpkin, broccoli, really any veg.
6. Simmer until liquid is absorbed. Taste the rice. It might not be soft yet, then add a little more water to just cover everything and simmer some more until rice is soft and creamy.
7. Before serving you can stir through some grated cheese!
This dish will not score high on presentation, but it will on taste!