Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My mother in law's Rusk recipe

These rusks are so good! Obviously I wont post anything not good! We spoke to my mother in law on skype last night and she had these rusks drying in the oven. I could almost smell them! But I won't bake them. Simply because they're too good and I won't be able to leave them alone. I will be sitting here at my laptop trying to work but won't be able to think about anything else but the rusks in the kitchen. But if you have better willpower than me, here's the recipe.

Health rusks

500 g margarine
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 kg self-raising flour
3 t baking powder
2 ml salt
2 eggs
3 cups All Bran (crushed slightly)
2 cups digestive bran
200 ml sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raisins
500 ml buttermilk

Melt margarine and sugar.
Sift self-raising flour, baking powder and salt.
Add All Bran, digestive bran, sunflower seeds and raisins to flour mixture.
Beat eggs and buttermilk and add to flour mixture.
Add melted margarine and sugar mixture and mix well.

Bake at 180 C for 50-60 min.
Remove from bread pans and allow to cool.
Cut/ break into pieces and dry overnight in oven at 80 C.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I lost this recipe and was searching the internet for it. You are right, they are the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size pans?? Would love to make these but have no idea how thick the batter should be. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was considering making rusks yesterday to check the pan size, but once I have them in the house I can't stop eating!! You can really use any pans, bread pans, roasting pan, whatever you've got. Because you're going to cut them into rusk-sized chunks when they come out the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annelise, I found your recipe while scouring the net 2 weeks ago for a health rusk recipe. These rusks are delicious, and even though this recipe makes a HUGE batch (2 oven pans)they barely last a week in our house, my teenage sons devour them while they are still in the pan! Thanks for a great recipe, this one is a real winner!

    ReplyDelete